Wednesday, August 25, 2010

It's about time to bid the "baba" (pacifier) farewell...

So I have been through this twice before and both children survived so why is it still so hard the third time around? My bean is going to be 2 in a month and that has been my cut off for the baba with my other 2 children. Keep in mind that I know of course that according to the pediatricians, they should not even have the pacifier at this point but I'm a sucker.


Jojobean still feels like so much of a baby to us and depends on her baba TREMENDOUSLY! It is basically her comfort in any situation. She is my shy one who becomes very concerned when one of the family members leaves the room. I can only imagine what the speech therapist will say on her first visit this week when she realizes that my bean still uses a baba. And I must emphasize that her delay in speech has to do with the lack of hearing in one of her ears and the number of ear infections she has had, not the use of her baba.

In all honesty, I realize that this is probably harder on me than it will be on her and I know she will be fine and survive but maybe you can lend me some advice, kinds words, or a helping hand:) Did you have any tricks up your sleeve when you deprived your little one of their babas? I went cold turkey when I took the baba away from jazz and superman and they were fine, of course. But then we have my jojobean and that's just what she is, a little bean, the baby of our family.....for 6 more months anyway:)

5 comments:

  1. I know that with a little girl I cared for I cut a hole in the tip so it no longer got suction and after a little while she lost interest in it. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah gave us all her pacifiers on her 3rd Birthday (she only had it at nap or bed-time), in exchange for her new 'Dora' bike. It was a breeze, except she hasn't had a nap since. Bedtimes have been fine.
    Benjamin was a little over 3 years ...old when he gave up his - it was the day after his dentist appointment and we said that the dentist told us that he had to stop 'using' them. Again, that night he went cold turkey and hasn't looked back since ... After all the worry about sleepless nights and screaming kids it was easy (at the right age). And if in doubt blame the guilt on someone else ... in our case the dentist or Dora!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made a huge deal about giving her pacifiers to the 'pacifier fairy'. We decorated a gift bag and put all the pacis in and hung it from a tree outside. She watched and watched and at her nap time, I swaped out the pacifers with really fun... stuff. Stickers, a big girl sippy cup, a new dolly. I made sure a little bit was peeking out of the top so it looked different. When she woke from her nap, she ran over to the window to check on her bag and noticed something changed. We went outside and the fairy left a note saying, 'thanks for the pacifers for all the babies who need them, here are some big girl toys instead.' She was so thrilled she never looked back since!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our daughter never liked the pacifier. Instead she was/is attached to this one bear that I have to guard with my life! Our son on the other hand always wanted a binky. He is going to be 3 years old and he still can have his binky during n...aps and bedtime. Some suggestions I got were to snip off the tip of the pacifier and give it to them and when they see that it is gone, you tell them that it is broken but they can hold it. Another suggestion I got was to go to Build A Bear and have the pacifier sewn into the belly of the bear so that they can see it then they have the bear and the pacifier to comfort or sooth...just not the sucking motion. Good luck! I think it is better that you do it now. I heard the later you go, the harder it is to take it away. I am not looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all really awesome ideas and so helpful!!! I really appreciate the feedback-this is exactly what I thought of getting when I created this blog. I am going to give the bean a little while longer to cherish her baba but will probably put some of these tricks to use:) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete