Friday, August 20, 2010

Make-up and my middle schooler

So the famous question (well 1 of them as far as teenage girls go) was asked of me last night, "Mom, can I wear a little make-up when I go back to school this year?"....."just some eyeliner and mascara?". She also asked me when I started wearing make-up which I couldn't remember exactly. I belive it was 8th or 9th grade but I can't remember having "the talk" with my mom about it.  Grrrr I wish young girls could see their beauty without make-up! I mean let's be honest, once you start wearing make-up for the most part, you don't stop. Even a trip to the grocery without it can leave a woman feeling like she's leaving the house naked. Only recently, have I stopped wearing make-up everyday. I don't know if its because I just don't have the time or I just don't really care which I'm not saying is a good thing:)


My daughter knows that when it comes to parents she got stuck (or blessed) with overprotective ones and she deals with it pretty well. I will take a minute to describe her as I think that is important when your setting boundaries for girls these days. We are very lucky because Jazz has a very good head on her shoulders. She has made honor roll for the last 3 years in a row (every quarter) and really cares about her school work, she has joined school clubs, and is an avid athlete and reader and vey committed. With that being said, there is of course the back talk which I hear comes with the teenage girl and which is, of course, my least favorite. She is an incredible help though when it comes to her siblings and I think that is awesome because not every preteen/teenager has such young siblings and is depended on to help especially when mom is pregnant AGAIN and not feeling 100%. And then there is boys. She's not boy crazy (thank god) and was even asked out by a guy she had a crush on her entire 6th grade. Her answer, "My parents won't allow me to have a boyfriend in 6th grade". *good girl* Now she does get a little goofy when a cute boy is in sight or when Jacob from the twilight series has his shirt off but who doesn't?
So last night, my immediate answer to her was, "NO". I then eased up and told her I would think about it but definitely no to eyeliner, mascara MIGHT be allowed and a little blush. Afterall, once your sunkissed face has faded from the summer, who doesn't want a dab of blush to not looked washed out? Of course she wasn't thrilled about my answer and told me how all the other girls in school wear eye make-up and even her friend who has REALLY over protective parents are allowing her to wear eye make-up when school starts. In my opinion, eye make-up on young girls looks trashy especially when they don't know how to correctly apply it. And they are children so they are going to play, go to practice, etc and sweat.....then that eye make-up becomes smudged and looks even worse than when they first put it on!
So what do you think? What's your opinion? Am I being to overprotective? How old was your daughter when you started letting her wear make-up? Why are girls growing up so fast these days????

5 comments:

  1. I say she can wear make-up at 18yrs old. Seriously though this should be a mothers decision.

    BTW: she is an amazing kid and we are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Kathryn I swear you were wearing makeup when you came to middle school! Were you scarred for life because of it? I doubt it! I wonder how it would hurt. If it looks bad, tell her! teach her how to apply it correctly, and if she tries to walk out of the house looking trashy, there's NOTHING wrong with making her turn around and fix it, even if it means being late for school! At least she learns that way, if she's penalized. I say let her start, while you still have a pretty strong influence over her. 'Cuz if you wait till she starts high school, it'll be a lost cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your right Chris, she is amazing and we ARE lucky! thanks for the comment jellomania. I honestly can't remember if I started wearing make-up in the 8th or 9th grade, whichever it was, of course I wasn't scarred for life but I still don't think I had any business wearing it that early. I understand that times change but I think young girls are growing up too fast so I am going to keep my old-fashion ways and say absolutely no to eyeliner....we'll discuss mascara in a couple months:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I was interested in make-up until I was about 14. I didn't start wearing it daily until I was 15/16ish. Looking back, that blue eye shadow was a really bad idea, but I though I looked cute lol Making mistakes is part of being a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your input sabrina:) what i would give to see you in blue eye shadow today!

    ReplyDelete