Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas Cheer

I was thinking earlier today about how much fun it might be to share Christmas craft/recipe ideas with other moms/teachers for our kids to do this month. I personally think there is not a gift that can compare with a homemade one from a child. As I sit in my living room tonight by the lights on my Christmas tree that makes me giggle just by looking at it....will explain in a bit-I have a new inspiration on how I would like to start my Christmas cheer blogging!


When I first met my husband, he had  2 friends who were married and he knew them when he lived in VA beach. He always told me what good people they were and coming from my husband, I knew he meant this from the bottom of his heart. He also told me that the brother of the girl had cancer. I met my husband in 2005 and we are nearing the end of 2010. Unfortunately, her brother still has cancer and it seems to be taking a turn for the worse. If you know me on facebook, then you may know who I am talking about or may have seen me rallying for their cause (Band of Parents) to win the grant given my the Pepsi Challenge which they did! Thank you to those who voted:)

His name is Nick. He will be 21 this Saturday. It is their family tradition to go out and get their Christmas tree on his birthday but they will be unable to do that this year because they will be traveling tomorrow to NY to start a very aggressive chemo. He will most likely not be home for Christmas either. I personally do not know Nick or his mother whose Caring Bridge site I read religiously but I do know his sister and although I wish we had more time to spend with her and her husband because they are AWESOME people-schedules get in the way and people are just busy with their everyday lives especially when you add in 7 children:) After reading Nick's mothers entries on the caring bridge site, I am always touched-sometimes to tears and sometimes to sighs of relief. I am so fortunate for the health of my children but I feel that I can relate to her in some way and I believe it is her passion. Her passion moves me beyond words-she is so consumed, so dedicated, so determined to fight this battle along side her son who by the way, amazes me with his strength. Here is the link to her site:
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/francafamily

Here is a little excerpt from today's entry:

"The Good is that the PET showed there are no new areas of activity, meaning lungs, liver, brain, lymphnodes.  The bad...... the marrow and bony disease is more active.  The very, very sad and ugly....... we are leaving for Sloan tomorrow to start the chemo we never wanted to do.... the high dose last chance to control this damn disease chemo.  His 21st birthday is Saturday.  He will spend it feeling horrific.  Any gestures anyone wants to send him please send to
Ronald McDonald House
405 East 73rd St.
New York, New York 10021"

So here is how I am asking you to start off the month of December and spread a little Christmas cheer whether you have little ones or not. A card with a few kind words or a special handmade card made from your child for Nick on his birthday or any other day this month. Just to let him and his family know that there are so many people out there thinking of them, praying for them, sending love their way....people they may not even know but may offer a smile or a bit of comfort the moment they receive it.

I ABSOLUTELY love Christmas and always have! I think now more than ever because I see the love of Christmas in my children when the time rolls around. When we put our Christmas tree up 2 days ago and decorated it, I may have hung 2 ornaments up because I could barely open them up fast enough for the little ones. Sure the bean put about 20 ornaments in the smallest spot she could find and the tree is a bit comical to look at right now but it is ABSOLUTELY perfect because my kids did it with love, smiles, and excitement.

My husband and I try to reach out to those less fortunate than us through the year or who are going through rough waters and are always talking about how we wish we could do more but now more than ever at Christmas time-I think everyone is more willing to reach out. Christmas is a time for miracles and I know a few families especially Nick's who are praying for them right now! Let's reach out and let them know we are thinking of them, of him, and that miracle he so deserves!

If there is someone in your life that could use a little pick me up or a little extra love right now, let me know....let us know so we can spread the love!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this idea. I love you and am so proud of who you are.

    Our thoughts as always will be with Nick and Alyson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glitter Pinecone ornament

    styrofaom cup, upside down, wrapped in tin foil bell ornament

    homemade craft doh (flour, salt, water) ornaments, cut with cookie cuttur, bake, paint/decorate

    ReplyDelete