Thursday, October 07, 2010

The Bean masters the "terrible twos"

Jojobean turned 2 on September 25th and has wasted no time transferring into a strong-willed, independent little girl. It didn't happen overnight but it wasn't a slow transformation either. All of a sudden my little baby has taken it upon herself to grow up in so many ways!

Because she doesn't have 100% of her hearing in her left ear, she has started speech therapy. She has had 3 sessions which are every other week at our house. Of course I was nervous about a stranger coming into our house and putting so much focus on jojo because she isn't to keen on strangers or other people beside her family in general. However, we have seen 2 different therapists (our first left because of pregnancy) and I am so proud of how willing and friendly she has been! I'm not sure if its the therapy, the age, or just the awareness from us all but she is REALLY trying so hard and doing such a great job! When we started (2 months ago) she had about 5 words. She now has about 20 and is even trying to say 2-3 words together AND repeating us!!!


Jojo went from trying on every one's shoes in the family (easy to put on because they were bigger) to putting her own shoes on completely right. Not only does she put her shoes on but she puts her clothes on as well and does a fabulous job at it! She always enjoys brushing her teeth on her own but from experience, I realize that all children would rather brush their own teeth than have their mothers stick that toothbrush in there and diligently try and clean their teeth to our satisfaction. She will also let us know that she can climb up into the truck on her own, fasten her seat belt on her own, and do anything in the kitchen on her own. I question whether or not it is this independence that we all refer to as the "terrible twos"?  Because of course she doesn't nicely tell us, "I can do it", it's more of a battle of us wanting to do it because I suppose we are use to doing just about everything for her to her almost yelling and pushing us away because she CAN do and WANTS to do all these tasks on her own. And I suppose her situation may be a little more difficult because her speech is a little behind so we probably all get a little more frustrated.

My question is, should we really dread this part of the terrible twos or embrace it and be proud? I feel like embracing it and being proud. Do I dread the times when she throws herself on the floor at a store because she has to leave the toy section or doesn't get what she wants? Sure but I also feel that she needs to have the feeling of disappointment and told no sometimes and learn how to deal with it. Will we give her a couple minutes to get her anger out on the floor? Probably so save the looks for someone else! So my husband and I are raising a confident, strong-willed, and independent woman? What's so bad about that? I'm just following in the footsteps of the rest of the women in my family, generation after generation. For all those family members reading this and who know my mom, my aunt, my grandmother....you will know EXACTLY what I am talking about:)

One of her newest actions that I could use some advice on is the bean is also trying to potty train herself. I was hoping to wait until we had a little more speech to make it easier and until she was a little bigger so the toilet didn't swallow her up but I'm not so sure she agrees. She takes her diaper off, goes to the toilet, and says, "peepee". We then follow her to lift her on the potty. She doesn't necessarily go all the time but she's got the right idea. I'm not really a fan of pull-ups but perhaps I should use them with her? I plan on buying a kid toilet seat to go on the regular one. Any other ideas for potty training a tiny one with a lack of speech?

So yes, my little bean is growing up. She has been taking every chance she has when we cuddle on the sofa to lift my shirt and cuddle with my bare belly to the point of rubbing and kissing it. When we tell her there is a baby in my tummy, does she really comprehend? Is this the reason she has been super attached to me for the last month? No one else will do, not even daddy who was just her favorite right before that! Has she grown up to the point of sleeping in her own bed, in her own room? No, and do I mind in the slightest? Not at all. I know many of you have your own opinions about co-sleeping and I totally respect all of them. But please don't tell me what I am doing is wrong or that I need to put them in their own bed. Because they will be soon enough and then for the rest of their lives. What did I feel last night when I went to bed and snuggled between the bean and spiderman? Pure Bliss and I want to savor that feeling as long as it lasts!

1 comment:

  1. for the potty training, don't forget.. just because she doesn't speak very well doesn't mean she doesn't understand. And that's what's more important.. Make sure there's a step of some sort up to the big potty so she can climb up there all on her own and feel more independent. And good for you for letting her lead!! take advantage of the interest she has now!!

    ReplyDelete